Thorntree Press is now accepting proposals for books for its 2016 and 2017 seasons.
We are an independent book publishing company specializing in non-fiction about sexuality, love and ethics, especially for non-traditional relationship models. Our focus is on publishing well-written, factually based, sex-positive literature that informs, educates and enriches the reader. In addition to delivering standards and services expected from larger publishing houses, we also provide dedicated niche marketing support and advice and work to make our contracts as creator-friendly as possible.
We use crowdfunding to help pay up-front publishing costs. The publicity from crowdfunding is useful for discovering and priming your audience, thus increasing pre-publication orders and post-publication reach. We run one campaign per year, focusing on all three books for the upcoming year. All authors are expected to participate in planning and promoting the campaign. Our 2015 campaign is currently in progress on Indiegogo.
We will consider submissions covering all of our topics of interest (sexuality, ethics and non-traditional relationship models). We are currently especially interested in the following themes:
- Books on asexuality and asexual relationships
- Books written by people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and members of underprivileged communities
- Research- and evidence-based works written for a general audience
- Guidebooks for community-building and activism, particularly developing consent culture and confronting abuse
- Well-written memoirs or biographies that deal with universal themes of relevance to a broad readership, tell a particularly interesting or unique story, or feature a high-profile person with an interesting life
We do not publish fiction or books dealing with New Age spirituality, alternative healing or similar topics.
Authors should already be active within your field of interest, with an established presence such as a blog, website, podcast, or history of speaking or teaching in the field you want to write about.
To submit a proposal, please first send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- A one-paragraph biography, including any published works
- A one-paragraph summary of the proposed work, including your intended audience
- Links to your social media and Web presences
If your submission appears appropriate for our list, we will invite you to submit a complete proposal.
We will accept queries and proposals on a rolling basis.